Created by the Haymarket Church Leadership Team
On Sunday during the sermon, I (Pastor Brian) challenged you to end each day this week by taking time to ask yourself where God showed up during that day. Part of the point of this exercise is to help us remember to be thankful for all the many ways that God shows up in our lives – something that happens all the time but that we often fail to notice.
Last week, we did a similar exercise at our monthly meeting of the Haymarket Church Leadership Team. At the beginning of our meeting (the last meeting of the year), we paused to name thing things about Haymarket Church for which we are thankful. Then we named something we were praying for Haymarket Church in 2020. I thought I’d share those things with you here, so we can celebrate the good work God is doing in and through our church together.
We are thankful for:
- The relationships we have at Haymarket Church
- The sense of community we experience at our church
- The enthusiasm we’ve sensed at our church in recent months
- A healthy partnership with leaders of St. Thomas UMC in Manassas, and the support and encouragement we’ve received from them
- Said one team member: “When I talk about what our church does to ‘non-churchy people,’ they’re excited and intrigued, and that’s a great feeling to have. We’re doing church, but we’re doing it different, which makes people re-examine what they thought church was”
- Our pastor [note from Brian: I swear I didn’t pay them to say that]
- The amazing staff we have at Haymarket Church
- The music in worship – the band has gotten a lot stronger over the past few months, and music in worship is great right now
- Our strong partnership with the faculty and administration at Haymarket Elementary
- We’ve been seeing more and more new people in worship
- There have been a ton of children in worship recently
- The people of Haymarket Church who are so passionate about God’s work, in love with the Haymarket community, generous in their support of their church, and in love with Jesus
Our prayer for Haymarket Church in 2020:
- For continued growth and the ability to reach new people
- For a stronger administrative/financial/logistical base so that we have the resources we need to do the work God is calling us to do
- For strong Christian community and life-changing relationships
- To expand our mission work so that we can impact the lives of others
- For continued (and strengthened) healthy partnerships with local non-profits
- That we would be a church that welcomes folks who aren’t otherwise welcomed in churches in our area – that we would be a place that is safe for those who feel rejected
- That we would build/nurture/welcome a more diverse congregation
- That people would find a place of spiritual nourishment/growth in our church
- That we would keep focused on God’s mission for us
- That God would use us to put love into action in our community
As we approach the end of the year, I hope you’ll take some time to think about what you’re thankful for – including how you’re thankful for your church. And I hope that you’re praying for our church as we move into an exciting future in 2020. God’s doing great things at and through Haymarket Church. I’m thankful for you and praying for our future. I hope you are too!
If you’ve missed any of our previous daily readings, you can find them all archived here. We hope these readings are helping you encounter God this season!