Advent and Christmas at Haymarket Church
During the month of December, Christians around the world spend their days preparing for and celebrating the story of Christmas – the story of God entering into our world as one of us in order to save us. During the season of Advent (the four Sundays leading up to Christmas), Christians focus on preparation – making ourselves ready, yet again, for God to enter into our world and into our lives. Then, at Christmas, we celebrate the Good News that God has done precisely that – that, with Jesus, God has entered into our world and is here to stay – that God is with us now and forever. That good news is central to the Christian story, and so we at Haymarket Church are spending December celebrating it. Here’s a schedule of some of the awesome ways we are celebrating Christmas this year:
Christmas Eve Candlelight Worship
Tuesday, December 24th, 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM at Haymarket Elementary School (15500 Learning Lane, Haymarket). You are invited to celebrate Christmas on Tuesday, December 24th with classic Christmas carols and a story of God’s love told by Candlelight. We will celebrate a family-friendly candlelight communion service at two times – 4:30 PM and 7:00 PM. Each service will include carols, Scripture reading, communion, and candlelight. Nursery care will be provided. The 4:30 service will include a pop-up Christmas pageant for kids – all kids who attend will be able to participate, and no rehearsal is required.
Christmas Eve is a special night – an opportunity to make a holy memory with family and neighbors and to celebrate the love of God that has come to dwell in our world. Sing favorite carols with Haymarket Church, hear the news of the child who was born to bring us peace, and lift up candles to celebrate the light of God that shines in even the darkest places.
Tacky Sweater Party and Sunday Worship
Sunday, December 22nd, 10 AM at Haymarket Elementary School (15500 Learning Lane, Haymarket). Wear your tackiest Christmas sweater to worship on Sunday, December 22, at 10AM at Gravely Elementary School. There will be Christmas cookies to snack on and a competition (and prizes) for the tackiest Christmas sweater!
Advent Sermon Series
This December, our sermon series will be looking at the Christmas story and asking the question, “What If?” What if Joseph had given in to anger? What if Mary had said no? What if Jesus means that God isn’t done with us yet? We will explore the power of the choices we make, what it means to respond positively to God’s love, and the powerful change God can unleash when we respond to God with a faithful “yes.” Through it all, we will explore the story of Christmas and how God empowered the people in that story (and empowers us) to join in God’s world-transforming work.
Visiting Haymarket Church on Christmas Eve?
Here are a few things you might find helpful if you are a new or returning visitor to Haymarket Church.
- Both worship services will conclude with the candlelight singing of Silent Night.
- Nursery is available at both services for children up to 5 years old. Children are always welcome in worship, but the nursery is available if you’d prefer.
- Holy Communion will be part of both worship services. All people are welcome to participate in communion, regardless of church membership or affiliation.
- Dress at Haymarket Church tends to be casual, but some folks do like to dress up for Christmas Eve. You can wear whatever works for you – there will be people in their “Christmas best,” in jeans, in Christmas sweaters, and more. Wear whatever feels right for you!
- We worship at Haymarket Elementary School, and there’s currently a detour that you need to take in order to get to us. From Old Carolina Road, if you’re coming from Haymarket Town Hall, turn right on Mercury Avenue. When you get to the end of Mercury Avenue, turn left, and the school will be on your right.
We look forward to celebrating Christmas with you!