Advent and Christmas at Haymarket Church
During the month of December, Christians around the world spend their days preparing for and celebrating the story of Christmas – the story of God entering into our world as one of us in order to save us. During the season of Advent (the four Sundays leading up to Christmas), Christians focus on preparation – making ourselves ready, yet again, for God to enter into our world and into our lives. Then, at Christmas, we celebrate the Good News that God has done precisely that – that, with Jesus, God has entered into our world and is here to stay – that God is with us now and forever. That good news is central to the Christian story, and so we at Haymarket Church are spending December celebrating it.
Christmas Eve Candlelight Worship
On Friday, December 24, Haymarket Church will celebrate Christmas Eve worship online and in-person.
We will gather for a family-friendly candlelight communion service at 5 PM at Haymarket Elementary School (15500 Learning Lane, Haymarket, VA) at on Friday, December 24. Our family-friendly candlelight communion service will begin at 5:00 PM and include carols, Scripture reading, communion, and candlelight. Nursery care will be provided. Worship will also include a special pop-up children’s Christmas pageant—all children who attend will be able to participate, and no rehearsal will be necessary. Due to PWCS health protocols, everyone age 2 and older must wear a mask at all times while indoors.
Our Online Christmas Eve Worship will go live at 2 PM. It will include Christmas music, a Christmas sermon, and a virtual children’s pageant with the children of Haymarket Church acting out the Christmas story from home! You can view this worship service on our Facebook page (Facebook.com/HaymarketChurch) and our YouTube Channel, or by going to HaymarketChurch.org/Livestream-Worship.
Visiting Haymarket Church on Christmas Eve?
Here are a few things you might find helpful if you are a new or returning visitor to Haymarket Church.
- Our online worship service can be found in 3 places: website, YouTube, & Facebook. The service will be the same in all places but the user experience may be different. For example, we have a good number of folks who chat with one another using the Facebook comments feature. Others prefer to watch via YouTube on their TV app.
- Our 5 PM in-person worship service will take place at Haymarket Elementary School (15500 Learning Lane, Haymarket).
- Weather permitting (as long as it doesn’t rain) our worship service will end outdoors – after the sermon, we will move outside to light candles and sing “Silent Night.” (Be sure to dress appropriately for any potential weather!)
- Because we worship in a school, we must follow Prince William County School (PWCS) guidelines for masking. Per PWCS policies, all persons age 2 and over must wear a mask at all times while indoors, regardless of vaccination status.
- We will have extra masks available at the door, in case you forget yours.
- A nursery is available for children up to 5 years old. Children are also welcome to stay with their family.
- Worship will include communion – this is a meal at which Jesus is the host, and all people are welcome. You do not need to be a member of Haymarket Church or of any other church to participate – all are welcome.
- Wear whatever works for you. Worship at Haymarket Church is usually pretty casual, but some folks get dressed up for Christmas, and you will definitely see people wearing some “fancier” clothes. (Our pastor will be wearing jeans, a tie, and his “preaching sneakers.”) But there will also be people wearing more casual clothes. Whatever feels right for you is great!
We look forward to celebrating Christmas with you!
Advent-Christmas Mission Offering
We love our partners at The Sweet Julia Grace Foundation (SJGF) – they do amazing work in our local community (and beyond) caring for children (and their families) who are seriously ill, have special needs, or are facing a crisis. And, so, we are proud to announce that, for the whole month of December, all money donated to the Haymarket Church Mission Fund will be given to our partners at SJGF. In addition, all “undesignated” money from Christmas Eve will be donated to SJGF.
For more information about who they are and the awesome work they do, visit their website.
If you want to support their awesome work – and help children who are facing storms dance in the rain – go to HaymarketChurch.org/give, choose the “Mission Fund” line item, and make a donation using credit card, debit card, or bank transfer. Thank you for your generosity!
We’ve put together a Spotify playlist to help you celebrate the wonder of Christ’s birth wherever you are – throughout the season. You can view it below or check it out on Spotify.
Song Lyrics for Outdoor Candlelighting
Song for Candle Lighting – “Silent Night”
Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and child. Holy infant, so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace, sleep in heavenly peace.
Silent night, holy night, shepherds quake at the sight;
Glories stream from heaven afar, heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!
Christ the Savior is born, Christ the Savior is born!
Silent night, holy night, Son of God, love’s pure light;
Radiant beams from thy holy face, with the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord, at thy birth, Jesus, Lord, at thy birth.
Silent night, holy night, wondrous star, lend thy light;
With the angels let us sing, Alleluia to our King;
Christ the Savior is born, Christ the Savior is born!
Closing Song – “Joy to the World”
Joy to the world, the Lord is come! Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare him room, and heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing, and heaven, and heaven and nature sing.
Joy to the world, the Savior reigns! Let all their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains, repeat the sounding joy
Repeat the sounding joy, repeat, repeat, the sounding joy.
No more let sins and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make his blessings flow far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found, far as, far as the curse is found.
He rules the world in truth and grace, and makes the nations prove
The glories of his righteousness, and wonders of his love,
And wonders of his love, and wonders, wonders of his love!