Easter at Haymarket Church
Easter is the central Christian holiday – a day when we tell the story of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and celebrate the Good News that even death cannot stop the power of God’s love. On April 21, as we celebrate Easter, you are invited to celebrate Easter in these ways:
Easter Pancake Breakfast: Before worship we will enjoy a pancake breakfast together beginning at 9 AM at Gravely Elementary School.
Easter Worship (and Free Professional Photos): You are invited to celebrate Easter at 10 AM at Gravely Elementary School. There will be great music, family-friendly worship, and a relevant message. In addition, everyone who attends worship will have the opportunity to get a free professional photo from the awesome folks at Elizabeth Bryson Photography. The free photo comes with access to a digital copy of your family photo, so that you can print it yourself (or keep it digitally) in whatever sizes work for you.
Easter Sunrise Service: Our Easter Sunrise worship service begins at 6:30 AM on Sunday, April 21, on the roof of the Old Bank Building (14951 Washington Street, Haymarket, VA 20169). Celebrate the gift of new life as we greet the dawn on Easter Sunday while overlooking the center of beautiful historic Haymarket.
- Parking: There is plenty of parking at Gravely Elementary School. Gravely is located directly next door to another church and sometimes traffic from that church’s services can be heavy – you may want to allow extra time to get to us, or to enter Dominion Valley by the other entrance (near Giant) and come in “the back way.”
- Communion: Haymarket Church celebrates Holy Communion (aka Eucharist or the Lord’s Supper) every Sunday. Our communion table is an open table, meaning that everyone is always welcome to participate, no matter your beliefs or church membership. We use Welch’s Grape Juice and King’s Hawaiian Bread for our communion elements. We also have gluten free wafers (made of potato and rice flour) for folks with food allergies.
- Childcare: Nursery care will be provided for children ages 5 and under. On most Sundays, we have children’s programming for kids preschool through fifth grade, but on Easter we encourage children to stay in worship and participate in this awesome holiday celebration.
- Dress: Typically folks dress casually for Sunday worship at Haymarket Church. You are welcome to come as you are. On Easter, some folks tend to dress up a little (especially since we’ve got free professional photos after worship this year), but wear whatever is comfortable for you.
- Music: Our worship music is led by a band (guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, etc.). Words (so you can sing along) are projected on screens.
Holy Week Schedule
Sunday, April 14: Palm/Passion Sunday Worship, 10 AM, Gravely Elementary School. Begin the story of Christ’s last week in worship.
Thursday, April 18: Holy Week Stations of the Cross and Open Prayer Space, 8 AM to 7:30 PM at the Old Bank Building. Experience the story of Christ’s last hours through art, reading, and prayer.
Friday, April 19: Good Friday Service of Scripture, Darkness, and Song, 7:30 PM, Old Bank Building. An experiential journey through Christ’s suffering and death.