Easter is the central Christian holiday – a day when we tell the story of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and celebrate the Good News that even death cannot stop the power of God’s love. On April 17, as we celebrate Easter, you are invited to celebrate Easter in these ways:
Easter Sunrise (April 17): Outdoors at Haymarket Elementary School, 6:30 AM. A simple service welcoming Easter morning by celebrating the Good News of the resurrection.
Easter Worship (April 17):Indoors at Haymarket Elementary School. Celebrate Easter on Sunday morning. In-person at Haymarket Elementary School (10 AM) or online (9 AM and 10 AM).
Visiting Haymarket Church on Easter?
Here are a few things you might find helpful if you are a new or returning visitor to Haymarket Church.
- Our 9 AM online worship service can be found in 3 places: website, YouTube, & Facebook. The service will be the same in all places but the user experience may be different. For example, we have a good number of folks who chat with one another using the Facebook comments feature. Others prefer to watch via YouTube on their TV app. Our 10 AM livestream can be found on our website and on Facebook, but not on YouTube.
- Our 10 AM in-person worship service will take place at Haymarket Elementary School (15500 Learning Lane, Haymarket).
- Weather permitting (as long as it doesn’t rain) our sunrise worship service will be held outdoors – we will gather at 6:30 AM to celebrate the resurrection as the sun rises – just as the first disciples did.
- Our sunrise worship service is BYOC (bring your own chair). If you plan on attending and want to sit, make sure you bring something to sit on!
- Masks are optional in our worship space for people who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Because we have many folks whose medical and family situations put them at higher risk, we also have a reserved “masks required” seating section. While folks who are wearing mask can sit anywhere in our worship space, only folks who are wearing masks can sit in our “masks required” section.
- Masks are required for everyone (adults and children, regardless of vaccination status) in our Kids’ Ministry Space. This policy is in response to concerns from parents with children under 5 years old (who do not yet have access to a Covid-19 vaccine) and is a way to care for families who feel left behind and unseen at this stage of the pandemic. This policy means that a fully-vaccinated child could have their mask off in our worship space at the start of worship, and then would need to put their mask on to attend kids’ ministry. We will have extra masks available at the door, in case you forget yours.
- A nursery is available for children up to 3 years old. Children are also welcome to stay with their family.
- Kids are invited to participate in Kids’ ministry – heading back to our kids’ ministry area about half-way through worship. This is an opportunity to engage with the story of Easter in a way that’s specifically designed for them. They will return to our worship space to receive communion. Children are also welcome to remain in our worship space with their family.
- Worship will include communion – this is a meal at which Jesus is the host, and all people are welcome. You do not need to be a member of Haymarket Church or of any other church to participate – all are welcome.
- Wear whatever works for you. Worship at Haymarket Church is usually pretty casual, but some folks get dressed up for Easter, and you will definitely see people wearing some “fancier” clothes. (Our pastor will be wearing jeans, a tie, and his “preaching sneakers.”) But there will also be people wearing more casual clothes. Whatever feels right for you is great!
We look forward to celebrating Easter with you!
Holy Week Schedule
Holy Week is the week when we tell the most important part of the Christian story – the story of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Our schedule for Holy Week is:
Palm Sunday (April 10): Sunday morning worship, in-person at Haymarket Elementary School (10 AM) or online (9 AM and 10 AM).
Maundy Thursday (April 14):7:30 PM at Grace United Methodist Church (9750 Wellington Rd, Manassas, VA 20110). Worship Service with Grace United Methodist Church (Manassas, VA). A communion service with reflections on Jesus washing his disciples’ feet, the Last Supper, and Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. This worship service will also be available online.
Good Friday (April 15):7:30 PM at the Haymarket Church Ministry Center (15000 Washington Street, Suite 206, Haymarket, VA 20169) This worship service focuses on Scripture readings and songs, as darkness gathers and we tell the story of the cross. There will also be an online Good Friday worship service. Online worship will be available at 6:00 PM.