- Sunday September 6: In-Person Youth Group at Haymarket Elementary 6:00-7:30 PM
- Sunday, September 13: ZOOM youth group 6:00-7:30 PM (Meeting ID: 819 7900 2363)
- Sunday, September 20: In-Person Youth Group Hangout AFTER in-person worship. We will walk to Cookies & Cream after worship. Students will need to have both a Health Form and a Permission Form on file to walk on over with us. Parents should plan to pick students up at Cookies & Cream.
- Sunday, September 27: ZOOM youth Group 6:00-7:30 PM THEME NIGHT (Meeting ID: 819 7900 2363)
The ZOOM Password for September will be HC-Youth. Students need to sign in with their actual name so that we will let them in. If you are a new student, text the word Haymarket to 474747 and let us know that you plan to attend youth group using the “Anything Else?” box in the welcome form. You can also get to the welcome form here.
What is Youth Group?
Haymarket Church’s youth ministry serves students in grades 6-12. Being a teenager is difficult. Being a faithful teenager in today’s world is even more so. At Haymarket Church we work to provide a safe space for our teens to be themselves while experiencing and learning about God’s great faithfulness. We have outstanding adult leaders and a fabulous group of students. If you are in 6-12th grade or know someone who is, be sure to check us out!
This year we will be doing a hybrid youth group, meaning we will alternate between in-person weeks and online-only weeks. We understand that not all students and families are comfortable being in-person at this time and we also understand that many of our teenagers are ‘zoomed-out’ and are not comfortable meeting online–especially with all of their schooling being online at this time. All students are important to Haymarket church–no matter what your comfort level, there is a place for you!
2020 Youth Group
Our 2020/2021 Youth Ministry year is going to look very different than previous years!
(Doesn’t everything, though?)
Tentatively, our schedule will look like this:
- First Sunday: In-Person
- Second Sunday: Online via Zoom
- Third Sunday: In-Person (in conjunction with the monthly outdoor worship service.)
- Fourth Sunday: Theme Night! via Zoom
Flexibility is KEY this year, as the locations and times for our youth group adventures will move based upon the week.Generally, we will meet from 6-7:30 PM but because at this time our in-person gatherings must be outdoors, we will need to move our time earlier as we lose the light later this fall.
Communication about youth group will come in these forms:
- Text Message: (to get on our youth parents text message list, simply text the word Haymarket to the number 474747. That will allow you to opt into Haymarket Church text messages–be sure to select Text Message Alerts (youth group).
- Youth Parents Facebook Group: this is a private group for youth parents. You can request to join by visiting facebook.com/groups/haymarketchurchyouth
- Youth Group Instagram: we post to the youth group instagram account (@youthontheroof) to keep students and families updated on what is coming as well as what is going on during our youth group events.
- Youth Group Calendar: We will keep times and locations up-to-date on this google calendar. This calendar also shows at the bottom of this page.
- Email: You can always email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns about anything youth group related.
In-Person Youth Group
In-Person Youth Group will take place outdoors at this time. In order to participate in this in-person, outdoor youth group, students will have to agree to follow the guidelines and fill out our health acknowledgement form. (Choose Outdoor Youth Group.)
During in-person youth group we will play socially distanced games, hang out, have small group time, and celebrate the fact that after so much time apart, that we may now be in person together again.
We will NOT be able to eat, be able to travel on road trips in vehicles, or have access to bathrooms.
All students will need to:
- bring their own chairs/blankets/seating
- agree to the guidelines
- fill out a health form
- wear a face covering at all times while at youth group
Students participating in in-person outdoor youth group will need to be on our text message list or follow our youth group instagram in order to receive alerts should the weather prohibit our gathering.
Online Youth Group
Every other week we will be having our youth group online via Zoom. These meetings will consist of check-ins, games, lessons, and small group time. You can learn more about our online youth group and can get the link using the button below.
Please note that we will only let in students with Zoom names we recognize in order to protect that Zoom space. Should a guest attempt to join, we send our students and leaders to a separate zoom room, let in the new person, and then, once it is determined that this person is an appropriately aged student, we return the rest of the group to the main room.
We are working on putting together an online Zoom small group that will be a more intense Bible Study than our Sunday night Zoom Youth Group. This won’t start until October, once students and leaders have a better idea of schedules and how things are going in the land of virtual schooling.
We also plan to offer some senior-high only hangout time via Zoom once a month. More details about that will come later in the year.
Haymarket Church worships every Sunday morning at 10 AM online (when we can meet in person again, we will meet at Haymarket Elementary School). Pre-pandemic, our teens were an active part of our weekly worship service–both as worshiping participants and as people who help make worship happen. Many serve on the tech team, running the sound equipment that makes the service go. Others are a part of the worship band. We even have some who help out in the Children’s church class or in the nursery. Youth are encouraged to help serve communion, assist with greeting and welcoming, and, of course, worship with friends and family.
Haymarket Church youth have many opportunities to serve. Our students are welcome to serve in many areas of worship leadership on Sunday mornings. We also offer opportunities throughout the year during Youth Group meetings for service to our community. Each summer we take a mission trip, where our students spend a week doing home repairs and community partnerships.
Haymarket Church also offers many opportunities for service (see our Serve page for more details) that our students are welcomed and encouraged to participate in.
Our youth summer mission trip is an important part of our year. Students spend a week away from home in service to the community. This week away is a great opportunity to get to know each other better and to engage in helping our neighbors in a real and tangible way. Previously we have served with Project SPY doing home repairs and Group Mission Trips doing community partnership ministry.
In 2021 we will head to North Carolina to do home repairs with Carolina Cross Connection (CCC). Our mission week is still TBD, but we hope that we will return to our normal routine this summer!
There are a limited number of spots on this trip, so students will need to get their reservations in early!
All students who sign up for our summer mission week will be expected to participate in at least 3 service opportunities at Haymarket Church during the school year. Such opportunities are noted on our calendar below.